Sunday, September 12, 2010

MAC – Wk2 Comments on Tamara Collins’ Blog

Tamara,

We are never able to see ourselves the way others perceive us. If a person has a thousand acquaintances, they will have a thousand reputations. Perhaps you were the ultimate disciplinarian to that student because that is the contribution from you that he needed? Perhaps other students of yours, even in the same class, would perceive your lessons differently because of their individual needs. Either way, it sounds like you are doing a fantastic job in the classroom, one that will make a difference to everyone who has the fortune to experience it.

On Saturday, September 11th, Tamara Collins wrote:

As an educator I often wondered what my students and trainees see when they look at me. Do they see a person whom is calm, relaxed and ready to tackle anything or do they see one who gets caught up in a fit of rage when things do no pan out the way they see fit? I would to say that I am somewhere in between. For the most part I am patient with others, but most times while in the classroom I was most definitely the ultimate disciplinarian. And guess what? That is exactly what one of my students who just entered his first year of college (Yale, might I add) said to me the other day when I saw him. I wasn’t sure how to take it. Was I to be proud or a little embarrassed? Well, when he hugged me and thanked me for making him work on his reading strategies over and over again, I was filled with joy and a sense of accomplishment. The Art of Possibility Chapters 4-6 spoke to me in a very familiar manner.

I realized that it was not the amount of time I invested in being “the ultimate disciplinarian,” but what I taught those students on how to act in and out of the classroom. Like the author in The Art of Possibility that was my “contribution” to society. I made sure that not only did my students learn the subject area, but also that they knew how to respect everyone. Or rather I became the “the contribution.” Of course I continue to read on, and come across Rule Number 6, thus far the most interesting.

The Rule Number 6, Lighten Up. This is most definitely easier said than done; however I continue to read because I am intrigued. According to the book when we follow the Rule Number 6 and lighten up over our childish demands and entitlements, we are instantly transported in a remarkable universe (Zander & Zander, p. 97). I think it’s safe to say that many people want to take things less seriously, but they often get caught up in what may go wrong. I believe this is one of those rules that take practice.

I suppose taking a chance is what it’s all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment